A structured approach to language learning takes place at Kindergarten 1. In class, we focus on the foundations of learning by honing essential skills such as phonics and sentence construction. Find out more.
Students learn to construct simple sentences with high-frequency words, describe pictures as well as develop personal responses and express themselves creatively in guided short writing exercises.
Students develop their phonemic awareness, including:
• consonant blends
• vowel sounds
• consonant digraphs
Comprehension, Listening and Speaking
Students build on their comprehension, listening and speaking skills in class through:
• weekly interactive storytelling sessions
• short written texts with direct questions, true/false questions and MCQs
• question and answer sessions with the teacher in class
• mini verbal presentations based on a given theme
Vocabulary and Grammar
Students build on their vocabulary foundation with weekly spelling tests and thematic vocabulary. Students are also introduced to basic grammar and parts of speech, including:
• word order
Students engage in a series of interactive activities, multi-sensory games and songs designed to help reinforce key concepts learnt in class.
Students are also exposed to a wide range of themes that centre around people and the roles they play. Key topics of interest include:
Kindergarten 1 Math program focuses on nurturing your child to be a confident and inquisitive learner. The programme goes beyond building on their fundamentals and content mastery to nurture a love of the subject.
• Students will master new topics such as Area and Perimeter, Venn Diagrams, Fundamentals Skills for Model Drawing.
• Students will build on their understanding of the topics on Whole Numbers, Fractions, Money, Measurement, Geometry, Data Analysis.
Skills and Techniques
• Students will be able to identify and relate to instructional and key words.
• Students will understand question requirements and be guided to document their understanding clearly on paper.
• Students will complete daily math exercises in their Junior Mathematician Booklets to master mental sums.
• Students will be able to complete and form number sentences using pictorial aids and number lines.
• Students will be exposed to new heuristics such as Make a List, Restate the Problem, Act It Out, Draw a Diagram.
• Students will understand new concepts and explore numbers through classroom activities which involve the use of manipulatives.
• Students will be given fun takeaways and booklets with stimulating story lines to aid them in revising concepts that were previously taught.
• Students will be able to recognise simple math relationships in daily experiences.
• Students will explore new math vocabulary and use math language to express ideas and solutions logically and concisely.
In the K1 Chinese Programme, your child will be introduced to key components of Chinese language appreciation: listening, speaking, reading and writing. The programme will focus on building the basic foundations of these skills.
Listening and Speaking
• students will be able to understand, ask and answer simple theme-related questions with acquired vocabulary and sentence structures
• students will be able to participate in simple short conversations with their teachers and classmates
• students will be able to learn through story-telling, role-playing, hands-on activities and games
Reading and Writing
• students will have a basic understanding of the structure of Chinese characters
• students will be able to form simple Chinese characters with acquired strokes and radicals
• students will be able to recognise commonly used words including theme-related vocabulary
• students will be able to understand the concept of characters字, vocabulary词, and sentences 句
• students will be able to apply their vocabulary knowledge through set conversations
Students are exposed to a range of themes about them and their interactions with the world.
Me and My World
• My Family
• My School
• My Neighbourhood
We regularly conduct fun and enriching holiday programs for students of all ages. Find out more!
Click to find out more about the workshops available.